International news has been high on our radar at the end of this week with the announcement of the nominees for the Americana Honors and Awards to be held at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville in September. many of the expected nominees are there – Sturgill Simpson, Jason Isbell and Lucinda Williams whose album of last year was criminally overlooked in many end of year lists. We were surprised to see Shakey Graves getting a couple of nods. Sure he has charisma but in our opinion is well short of crafting the quality of songs needed to be a contender for album of the year. There were plenty of more deserving nominees from last year – The Felice Brothers, The Delines, Nikki Lane, Hurray For The Riff Raff – presuming their albums fell within the nomination timeframe. Regardless it promises to be a great awards night with some memorable live performances.
Locally we’ve published our review of the new Catherine Britt and The Milk Carton Kids albums a new video clips from Ruby Boots and Giant Sand plus new music from Sara Syms and Toronto’s LeBarons.
Our pick of this weekend’s gigs in Sydney is Dusty Ravens, On The Stoop, Sam Shinazzi (band) @ the Petersham Bowling Club on Sunday afternoon. Next week we’re spoilt for choice with all these gigs happening:
- Wednesday 20th – Lost Highways Records Presents Country & Inner Western: Catherine Britt, Amber Rae Slade & The Mighty Big Noise, Katie Brianna + special guests @ The Basement, Circular Quay
- Wednesday 20th – Daniel Tomalaris, Roland Kay-Smith @ The Gasoline Pony, Marrickville
- Thursday 21st – Ruby Boots, Raised By Eagles, Andy Golledge @ Newtown Social Club
- Thursday 21st – Katie Brianna, Adam Young @ The Gasoline Pony, Marrickville
- Thursday 21st – Skyscraper Stan @ Black Penny, Surry Hills
Our classic clip of the week is Marty Robbins singing ‘They’re Hanging Me Tonight’, taken from his album Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs (1959) We included the song when we were invited by host Vinny Ramone to guest program a selection of songs on The Outpost on 2SER 107.3FM this week. You can hear the full show and our playlist via the station’s On Demand stream – The Outpost, May 14th 2015.