It’s been six years since Ry Cooder released his last album, Election Special. Now, on May 11th, Cooder will release The Prodigal Son.
The album’s 11 tracks, including three Cooder originals and a carefully selected collection of his most treasured blues ‘n roots spirituals of the last century (songs of the Pilgrim Travelers, The Stanley Brothers, Blind Willie Johnson), share a particular resonance in this time and place, forming an unflinching look at the state of play in modern America.
The Prodigal Son Track List:
1. straight street (James W. Alexander / Jesse Whitaker)
2. shrinking man (Ry Cooder)
3. gentrification (Ry Cooder / Joachim Cooder)
4. everybody ought to treat a stranger right (Traditional; Blind Willie Johnson, Arr. by Ry Cooder)
5. the prodigal son (Traditional: Arranged by Ry Cooder /Joachim Cooder)
6. nobody’s fault but mine (Blind Willie Johnson / Arranged Ry Cooder / Joachim Cooder)
7. you must unload (Alfred Reed)
8. i’ll be rested when the roll is called (Traditional; Blind Roosevelt Graves, Arranged by Ry Cooder)
9. harbor of love (Carter Stanley)
10.jesus and woody (Ry Cooder)
11. in his care (William L. Dawson)