Diamond Duck release their self-titled debut EP this week and it’s a wonderful showcase for the talents of Jimmy Daley and Brian Campeau.
Lush and ornate are two words that come to mind listening to the EP. The duo’s harmonies are beautifully intertwined, rising and falling, complementing and contrasting each other. They recall some of the finest exponents of the form such as The Everly Brothers, Simon & Garfunkel, CSNY and The Louvin Brothers. Blend that with folk and classical strings and the baroque pop stylings of Sufjan Stevens and Grizzly Bear and you have an intelligent and swooning collection of postmodern folk songs.
Diamond Duck are Jimmy Daley (The Morrisons, Tawny Owl Stringband, Sanctuary Band) on Mandolin, Guitar and Vocals, and Brian Campeau (Green Mohair Suits, Rescue Ships, and a critically acclaimed artist in his own right) on guitar and vocals. The EP also features guest performances from Oliver Miller on Cello (Noise String Quartet), Anna McInerney on Violin (The Morrisons, Terze Madre) and Gary Daley on Accordion and Piano (The Catholics, Bungaribee).
Listen and/or buy the EP and check out their run of NSW and VIC shows through May and June (see below).
- May 9 / Franks Wild Years, Thirroul
- May 10 / Django Bar, Marrickville
- May 12 / Metro Social, Katoomba
- May 13 / Evergreen Music, Brookvale
- May 24 / Some Velvet Morning, Clifton Hill
- May 25 / Major Toms, Kyneton
- May 26 / House Concert, Reservoir
- May 27 / Warehouse Show, Melbourne
- June 6 / House Concert, Newcastle
- June 7 / Two Goats, Armidale
- June 8 / Club Mullum, Mullumbimby
- June 9 / 63 First Ave, Sawtell
- July 12 – 15 / Bello Winter Music Festival